The cost of the striker is added to the Kit when selected. You can see the total in your Shopping Cart
The age old method of Flint and Steel can be very reliable however using Flint and Steel to start a fire requires some planning and practice.
This Flint and Steel Starter Kit includes everything you need to to start practicing this method of fire lighting.
- An Emberlit Steel Striker of your choice.
- A chunk of suitable stone for throwing sparks.
- Cotton rope with which to make charcloth.*
- Jute twine to be stripped and fuzzed into a tinder nest.
- A Fresnel lens if you wish to cheat when making a coal.
- And a sturdy tin to store it all when not using it to make charcloth.
*The sparks produced from flint and steel are not terribly hot and require specially prepared tinder to catch them and ignite into a glowing ember. "Charcloth" is such tinder. It is literally cotton cloth that has been charred inside an air tight container to produce a fine carbon mesh rather than ash. The glowing charcloth ember is then placed into a nest of fine natural fibers and blown into flame.